Being a Bengali, I am a lover of different types of fish cuisines, and prepare the same at home regularly. Many times, my North Indian friends who have tasted my Bengali style fish curry wants to know the recipe. According to them, fish comes first for Bengalis. Yes! It does. Bengalis are well known for their fondness of fishes. So, let me tell you an excellent Bengali style fish recipe. The dish is known as 'Rui Macher Kalia', I am sure you all are going to love this Rohu Fish Curry.
Rui is known as Rohu (Roho or Carpo Fish) It is very popular and available in northern as well as southern India. This is an oily fish but extremely tasty, when cooked nicely. So lets proceed with the recipe 'Rui Macher Kalia'.
- Fish - 1 Kg (8-10 pcs)
- Lemon Juice -1tsp
- Turmeric – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – As per taste
- Oil – 10 tsp oil
- Bay leaf - 2
- Black Cumin – 1/2 tsp
- Fennel seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Fenu Greek – 1/2 tsp
- Garlic – 4 to 5 cloves
- Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
- Ginger – 1/2 tsp
- Sugar – 1/2 tsp
- Cardamom- 1/2 tsp
Method to Cook Rohu Fish Kalia
- Wash pieces of fish properly, keep it in a bowl
- Add Lemon juice and keep it aside for 10 minutes
- After 10 minutes, mix the pieces of fish with turmeric and salt
- Heat a cooking pot, and add oil
- Fry the fish but not all, four pieces at one time. Do not make it too hard, it should be little reddish in color
- Pick the fried pieces in a bowl / plate and keep it aside
- In the same remaining oil, add black cumin, fenu greek, fennel seeds and bay leaf. Mix it well in the cooking pot
- Now Prepare the masala – red chilli powder, black cumin, turmeric, garlic, ginger. Mix with little water in a bowl, add salt according to your taste. Add this mixture of masala in the cooking pot. If possible keep this masala ready before placing the cooking pot on the gas
- Also add little water, now put the fish pieces one by one, make sure it should not break
- When water is soaked little, cover it for 5 to 10 minutes. In between you can open the cover and have a look
- Add some boil water in the cooking pot and dip the fish
- Check if it's fully cooked, now bring it down and add little sugar and cardamon
So, Rui Macher Kalia is finally ready to eat.
- Plain Rice
Health Benefits of Eating Fish
Fish is filled with omega 3 fatty acid but is usually low in fat. It helps in maintaining our heart health. It is also rich in calcium and phosphorus and great source of minerals such as zinc, iron, iodine, magnesium and potassium, which is good for our health and we should include it in our diet.
Now, when you know about the health benefits of consuming fish, i am sure you would love to try it out.
Tips for Buying Fresh Fish
- Look fish with bright eyes, fish with dull eyes are not fresh
- Fish should not have bad body odor, it should not smell awful
- Flesh should be shiny and bright, there should not be any milky liquid on the flesh
Try this recipe at home and enjoy with your friends and family. All you sea food lovers are going to love it. Do share your feedback and reviews.